Friday, January 30, 2009

Research Journal - Methodological Memo

Already I begin to see the fluid nature of qualitative research. I originally proposed to study students who self-select into an Honors Scholars program - focusing on Kinesiology students, as they seemed to predominate in past cohorts of honors students.

Alas! I received the cohort data for this year and only one is an athletic training major! So, the study shifts to include all students in the program. However, my idea about the predominance of females in the program has proven to be true. I am still working through the information on ethnicity. Perhaps 2 out of 3? :)

What I am starting to learn is that I will have be much more flexible in my design and in my thinking about qualitative research vs. quantitative. There is something really attractive to me in trying to capture Story, and in using it to help to explain concepts, etc. But there is a temptation to revert to the more rigid, and in many ways easier, methodology of quant!

No comments:

Post a Comment