Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Research Journal - Faith Reflection

Having completed my first interview for this course, I find myself reflecting on the nature of truth as I see it and as it may appear to someone else. Christians tend to believe in TRUTH that is immutable and eternal. For me, even as a Christian, truth is something personal, often situational, and subject to revision when confronted with facts that alter my perceptions. My capital letter Truths are few, deeply held, and articulated in the simplest terms - I believe in God because I see His work, I am in relationship with Christ because I KNOW Him - in ways that are found at the bleeding edge of the precipice of faith, you must leap in order to know and understand, and having leapt find Truth waiting there in a way that others rarely comprehend.

My understanding of truth and reality are often the reverse of the norm. Truth is the way that I see and make sense of the world. Outside and above that truth stands reality - a place where the verifiable, observable without interpretation occurrence exists. Twenty people may observe a Reality and each will bring his or her own truth to it. That they differ does not diminish the fact of their truth, nor does the difference alter the Reality.

With this lens, I must approach every answer in an interview with absolute belief in the truth of the statements presented to me. This is tough for a person who has seen darkness and has a layer of cynicism regarding motives. I have lived a great deal of my life with a parent who told pathological lies, yet have come to see the inherent truth in the wish that was father to those lies. A truly Great Story has much in it of truth, and as much of hope in what might be truth.

And now I have been presented with the gift of a wonderful personal Story. The teller of this tale has entrusted me with her memories and experiences. I am tempted to unravel the tale and look for places where, perhaps, what is remembered is more wish than fact, but I must honor the gift and preserve it intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment