Sunday, February 22, 2009

Research Journal - Methodological Memo

Wow. Whoa. Really?

In transcribing I have learned that my vocal cues indicating that I am actively listening, while effective in real time, appear idiotic on paper! During my interview for the individual interview assignment I listened to a well-spoken, and quite loquacious, person tell the story of her life. There was little need to ask her questions, yet I wanted to affirm that I was listening. Wow, whoa and really seem to be my fall back words in such a situation.

I also came prepared with a protocol and only used the first question. We made it from A to Z without my having to return to ask for more information. So, it basically looks on paper as though I have left the room! :)

So...how does one communicate active listening without using nonsense words? Is it acceptable to just listen - when the story teller is offering a story that, without prompts, is answering your questions? And how much interjection is enough vs. too much?

This is harder than it appears, and twice as hard as it sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment