Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Research Journal - Methodological Memo

The writing of qualitative research is a true match for my natural literary inclinations. When I have learned to do it well, to really bring out the themes that reside within the words of those I interview, it will be a joy to write in this way!

But, the dark side of Qual. research is becoming really appparent to me as I attempt to bring all the necessary elements together for my projects, both in this class and in Teaching and Learning. So much depends upon the willingness of others to share their lives and their time with me. Often, I feel like I am begging for the stuff with which I can do the work - PLEASE! Come talk with me, I'll make you cookies! How about a Jamba Juice card?

I find it so rewarding to actually spend time with the subjects of my study (I actually hate using that phrase in conjunction with this work, but also get tired of continually saying "the people I interviewed"). Their stories are interesting, their passion for their work inspiring to me. But getting to the point where we sit down and talk is just excruciating for me! I am busy, they are busy. Going back for additional interviews seems like asking for the moon.

The Activator in me hates that I am dependent upon others to get going with my research. The Empathy in me totally understands the demands on everyone's time at this point in the semester, making me loath to ask for more interviews. The reward that makes this all worthwhile though, is that the Communication theme in me is happy beyond measure to interact with new people and to have the chance to grapple with their unique stories. My hope is that, in the end, we will all have learned something valuable about who we are and how we move through the world.

1 comment:

  1. Researching teacher education for inclusion: using a methodological memo. Research output: Contribution to journal › Article. Export citation. Visit studentresearchjournal.com

    ReplyDelete