Thursday, April 16, 2009

Research Journal - Methodological Memo

Just completed another student interview and it makes me wonder how one ever finds a stopping point? Each time I speak with a student, and each new student with whom I speak, I find myself bumping up against new intellectual territory that I want to explore. If I ask about overcoming difficulties, I hear about challenge. Then I think about Self-determination, and find myself wondering about the student's strengths constellation. Thinking about strengths makes me wonder what mindset certain students might be inclined to possess! It is a never-ending cycle of exploring new ideas that feed into one another like tributaries of a vast and winding river.

I imagine that experienced researchers are able to build a framework that serves as a boundary. It can only be in this way that they recognize when a study is nearing completion, or has fulfilled its usefullness with regard to a specific topic. Alas! I am clearly nowhere near the point of articulating this type of framework for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment