Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Research Journal - Theorectical Memo

When I began the big project for this class, I intended to do a grounded theory regarding the reasons that high achieving students choose to do an Honors Scholars project at PLNU. It quickly became clear, however, that my interest in the subject required a phenomenological approach - I want to see what this experience means to our students both while they do the project and after. So I changed my methodology.

When I began I had some ideas of what I might hear from the students themselves. Most of all, I expected to hear that they elected to do the project in order to gain acceptance into grad school or to fatten their resumes for a good job. That has not been the case at all! What I hear most often is that the students are doing this because of the challenge aspect of the project. They want to see how far they can stretch and what they can accomplish.

The interviews are also showing me that I need to include materials on Self-Determination Theory and Hope Theory in my literature review. I see this because I am familiar with the underlying ideas of both theories. But it makes me wonder just what I might be missing because I have less than perfect knowledge of all the existing theories regarding motivation and achievement. This is complicated stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment